Lovely Apple Muffins with Calvados and cardamom apple filling, topped with a spicy streusel. We love them and I hope you will too! When taken out of the oven, these Cinnamon Cardamom Apple Muffins smell awesome and thanks to the Greek yogurt, they are tender and moist even for several days!
When talking about baking sweets, autumn is my favorite season. We have nuts, pumpkin, zucchini and I love to bake with these (btw have you tried my Zucchini Hazelnut Bread yet?). And then we also have apples! Who does not love apple cakes such as an apple strudel or just a simple apple pie? But the muffins are just amazing – give them a try! 😉
The original recipe comes from the blog Call me cupcake of wonderful Linda Lomelino. I did some changes, such as the dosage for 12 muffins, I used a greek yogurt instead of a cream and Calvados instead of cognac. I just feel it fits better for me, but that’s just a matter of personal taste.
I first made these Cinnamon Cardamom Apple Muffins for the Czech Fashion and Design Weekend in Brussels and then several times at home or for colleagues at work. People love the combination of cinnamon, apples, Calvados and cardamom, and so I hope you will love these muffins too! If you make these muffins, let me know via the comments.
- 50 g all-purpose flour
- 25 g brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- pinch of salt
- 25 g cold butter
- 2 medium apples
- 25 g tbsp brown sugar
- 25 g butter
- 3 tsp calvados
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 270 g all-purpose flour
- 7 g baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 150 g brown sugar
- 125 g butter, melted
- 125 g greek yoghurt, at room temperature
- For the streusel topping: In a medium bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cinnamon, cardamom and salt. Add the cold butter cut into cubes and mix all ingredients either using hand mixer, either with your fingers, until crumbly. Keep the bowl in the fridge while you prepare the rest.
- For the apple filling: Peel, core and dice the apples. Put them in a saucepan together with sugar, butter, Calvados and cardamom. Bring to boil and simmer on a medium heat until the sugar and butter dissolves and the apples are slightly soft (about 3-4 minutes). Remove from heat and allow to cool down.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a cupcake pan with 12 muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar with the eggs until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the melted butter and beat until incorporated. Add the greek yoghurt. Add the dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Fill the muffin cups about 1/4 full with batter, add a teaspoon of the apple filling to each cup, then top with more batter, and add another teaspoon of the the remaining apple filling. Top each muffin with the streusel.
- Bake for 15 minutes on 200°C, then lower the temperature to 180°C and bake another 10 minutes, doing the toothpick test. If it does not come out clean, bake for another 3-5 minutes.