The Valentine´s Day is approaching fast so here you have a recipe for something decadently delicious! Chocolate Molten Lava Cake is a small melting-center chocolate cake. When you cut a piece, warm chocolate starts running out from the center. It is usually served with vanilla ice cream or forest fruit. Something divine as a sweet dot after your St. Valentine´s dinner, how about that? Plus, this dessert is so easy and quick to do, I promise you´ll fall in love! 😉
In order to make this cake with a molten center, you need to follow these 3 rules:
- Short bake time at high temperature (7-10 minutes at 230°C )*
- Insert a non-melted square of chocolate in the middle (it will start to melt in the oven while the rest of the melted chocolate in the cake is baking)
- Serve the Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes still warm, few minutes after taken out from the oven before the chocolate stiffens
*The exact baking time depends on your oven! You may need to do a few tries with your oven in order to find the exact time you need to count in order the cake center is molten. For example, for me it works well to bake the cakes at 230°C for about 9 minutes), but I always observe it and once the center sinks a bit and darkens, I take them out. In any case, do not bake longer than 12 minutes, unless you don´t care about the molten center.
If you follow the above rules, the Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes are trivial to make, believe me! The preparation time will only take you 10 minutes, and so as the bake time! As you need to serve it warm, remember to preheat the oven during your main course. You can prepare the cakes 2-3 hours in advance, fill in the forms and store in a fridge.
I use the ramekin pots but you can also use the muffin mold. You can get them out easily – once they are baked, allow them to cool down for 5 minutes, then turn them upside down on the plates. Serve ideally with vanilla ice cream or with forest fruit. One more thing: I use fleur de sel in my recipe which gives it an interesting taste to the chocolate! If you don´t have it, it does not matter, the chocolate molten lava cakes will be good as such. 😉
If you are a fan of chocolate cakes and fondants, try also some other recipes on my blog such as my beloved light and moist Banana Chocolate Cake (also one of the first recipes on the blog actually!) or the Chocolate Orange Ricotta Fondant Cake. They are both fresh and fruity and contain a minimum of butter. And if you fancy something more sophisticated with a touch of alcohol, try the Chocolate Hazelnut Cake with Prunes in Porto Wine. They are all delicious and I guess you will have a problem to keep them longer in the fridge! 😉
- 120 g good quality dark chocolate + 8 small or 4 thicker chocolate squares (4x10 g)
- 35 g unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 70 g cane sugar
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour (+/- 20-25 g)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp. fleur de sel
- butter for grease and cacao powder for dusting
- vanilla ice cream or forest fruit for serving
- Preheat the oven to 230°C.
- Melt the chocolate together with butter in a bain-marie.
- Grease 4 ramekins or muffin mold and dust with cocoa powder. Keep them in the fridge for the rest of the preparation time.
- Beat the eggs with sugar, add vanilla essence. Stir in the melted chocolate with butter, add fleur de sel and sift in the flour.
- Fill the ramekins or muffin mold evenly up to 1/3 height with the batter, place in the chocolate squares and cover with the rest of the batter up to 2/3 of the height of the molds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 7-10 minutes, checking it regularly. Once the center sinks and darkens a bit, you can take them out. Allow to cool down for 5 minutes, turn them upside down on the plates until the cakes are out. Serve with vanilla ice cream or forest fruit.
- - You can prepare the cakes 2-3 hours in advance, fill in the forms and store in a fridge
- - Fleur de sel can be omitted if you don´t have it
- - In order to have a molten center, do not bake longer than recommended
- - Serve warm
Have you tried this recipe?
Let me know how the Chocolate Molten Lava Cake turned out. I will be happy to hear from you! 🙂 If you like the recipe, please share it on social media!