This is my favorite autumn soup. Delicious pumpkin soup is such an easy, quick and healthy dinner that will heal your body with warmth, but also your soul with its sunny color! Some people do it spicy, some other sweet, but myself, I love pumpkin soup simple, smooth and creamy with a touch of ginger.
I like to use the hokkaido pumpkin as no need to peel the skin for the soup and the skin gives a specific taste to the soup, but you can use a casual squash for this soup too. For 4 people, you will need 1 kg of deseeded pumpkin, which is about 1 larger hokkaido.
You simply fry the shallot on butter, add garlic and ginger, add the chopped pumpkin and fry a bit. Cover with water and a vegetable stock, season and boil for 20 minutes. Then just mash to purrée using a hand mixer. Please note that this recipe is for quite creamy and smooth soup, but if you wish to have the pumpkin soup less thick and rather more liquid, then add more water.
The soup can also be frozen up to 2 months! Yay, that means if you like it, you can do it in the season and then still enjoy it after Christmas when the hokkaido is no more in available. 🙂 I am so crazy about pumpkin soup in the autumn that I sometimes store it in small boxes in the freezer, take it out in the morning and bring it with me as a lunch to work – it does not leak out as it is still solid from the freezer, and during the morning it has enough of time to defrost, otherwise the microwave helps 😉
- 1 medium pumpkin hokkaido (1 kg pumpkin, desseeded and chopped into chunks)
- 20 g butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cm ginger
- 1 l vegetable stock
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- Salt, pepper
- 250 ml cooking cream
- 1 handful basil leafs
- Clean well the pumpkin. Halve it and remove the seeds, cut the halves into chunks. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan, gently cook the shallots for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger and the pumpkin chunks and fry for 2 minutes.
- Pour vegetable stock into the saucepan and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes until the pumpkin is soft enough. Purée the pumpkin with hand blender and stir in 200 ml cream. Serve decorated with the rest of the cream and basil leafs.
- - If you use the hokkaido pumpkin, do not peel it - the skin becomes very soft during cooking and blends in at the end. If you use squash, then do not forget to peel it before cooking.
- - The soup can be frozen up to 2 months
If you prefer soup butternut soup, just try the Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup!
What is your favorite autumn soup? Let me know in the below comments!