Ok, the summer is almost over, but I guess you will still appreciate a bit spicy Thai Cucumber Salad as I do. I love this salad! I made it 3 times during the last month. 🙂
I just slightly changed the original recipe by substituting fish sauce by soy sauce and thus making a vegetarian friendly salad. And I also use cashew nuts instead of salty peanuts – this way we avoid too much salt.
And we are not finished yet with Thailand on this blog! In the next coming days, you can expect a post about our birthday trip to this beautiful country in March 2014. So enjoy your Thai Cucumber Salad and I hope this will get you in the mood for the next reading. 🙂
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 carrots
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cm ginger
- ½ bundle cilantro
- 50 g cashew nuts
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tbsp. peanut oil
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp. sambal oelek
- Wash the cucumbers (do not peel) and grate them on the large holes. Place the grated cucumbers into colander, season with salt and let drain for 15 minutes.
- Scrape the carrots, wash them and grate them on large holes. Peel the ginger and grate it on small holes. Chop the garlic and cilantro leaves. Place grated carrots, ginger, garlic and cilantro into a salad bowl.
- Fry cashew nuts until lightly golden (do not burn!). When cooled down, break them into small pieces.
- Prepare the dressing: mix the rice vinegar, peanut and sesame oil, lime juice, soya sauce, and sambal oelek together.
- Add the drained cucumber to the salad bowl, add the dressing and mix all together well. Serve topped with cashew nuts.