Roasted Butternut Squash with Spinach Leaves and Blue Cheese is a very nourishing and delicious meal full of autumnal flavors. I actually made it twice last weekend, second time slightly changing the original recipe. It was delicious and easy to prepare, we just loved it and I hope that you will enjoy it too!
I love butternut squash as it has a light nutty flavor, but also because of the fact that you can prepare it in many different ways, salty or sweet. Besides, butternut squash is very nourishing and healthy! P.S. If you are a fan of this beautiful vegetable too and if you like soups in the cold periods of the year, check out the recipe for my Butternut and Sweet Potato Soup. The sweet flavor or both butternut and sweet potato in combination with cinnamon will surprise you!
The preparation of roasted butternut squash with spinach and blue cheese is easy but may take some time. First, you need to prepare the butternut squash.
With the help of a long and sharp knife, slice the butternut squash lengthwise and seed it using a spoon…
…cut it into smaller pieces…
…and peel the skin…
…then cut into small cubes.
Once the butternut squash has been prepared, the next steps are easy and fast. Mix the butternut cubes with olive oil and nutmeg, sprinkle with thyme. Arrange the cubes on a baking sheet in one layer, put in the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes.
In the meantime, prepare the spinach – boil it on a low heat in olive oil and garlic, seasoned with salt and pepper.
At the end, add the spinach to the baking sheet with butternut. Add few spoons of cream, sprinkle with the crumbled blue cheese and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
And here you have the full recipe 🙂
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- few branches thyme
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 300 g spinach leaves
- crystal salt and pepper, to taste
- 150 g blue cheese (Roquefort in my case)
- 100 ml heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Slice the butternut lengthwise and seed it. Cut into smaller pieces and peel them. Finally, cut into small cubes. In a large bowl, mix the butternut cubes with 2 tbsp. olive oil mixed with nutmeg and sprinkle with thyme. Arrange the butternut cubes on a baking sheet in one layer, place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, chop finely the garlic clove. In a large saucepan, heat 2 tbsp. olive oil and add garlic, cook for about 2-3 minutes until slightly golden. Lower the heat to medium, add the spinach leaves, crystal salt and pepper. Stir occasionally and cook for about 3-5 minutes, allowing the spinach leaves to reduce their volume. Let drain the spinach in the colander.
- Take out the baking sheet with butternut cubes, add the cooked and drained spinach leaves. Add cream in spoons and sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese. Place back in the oven and bake for another 5-10 minutes so that the cheese melts.
- Serve warm and enjoy!