After the Warm Goat Cheese Salad with Honey Dressing that I posted last week, I come again with a goat cheese specialty. Because I love goat cheese so much!! 🙂 Do you? If so, I hope to make you happy with another goat cheese recipe and if not, maybe it is time for you to try out another recipe and maybe you will find it delicious too! This time, I come up with a recipe for Wheat Berry Carrot Salad that is such a delicious thing with the fresh goat cheese and sweet, gently spicy carrot sauce, also perfect as a main dish. This salad won´t make you feel hungry two hours after, I guarantee! You can prepare it within half an hour as a quick dinner or you can also prepare it in advance into small boxes that you can take with you to the office for lunch – no need to use micro or add a dressing right before serving.
I have been getting this salad for lunch from Foodmaker in Brussels quite often – it was called Hot Carrot or so and I loved it so much that I decided to try to do it on my own. And this Wheat Berry Carrot Salad with Carrot, Goat Cheese and Spicy Carrot Sauce.
The base of this salad are wheat berries, or Blé gourmand that I buy in Belgian shops, but I am sure you can also do it with Spelt or bulgur. Fresh goat cheese gives a delicacy to the salad and if you sprinkle it with chopped fresh coriander, you move it to another level. Fresh coriander used together with carrots reminds Marrocan or Indian cuisine. The quantity of wheat berries and carrot slices is up to you. In the spicy carrot sauce you can feel the taste of orange, honey and harissa the most. It took me few realizations to reach the perfect dosage of each ingredient and now I simply love the taste! 🙂
- 250 g wheat berries
- 300 g carrot, sliced
- 150 g fresh goat cheese
- few branches of fresh coriander
- 200 g carrot, sliced
- 1/2 vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp. orange juice (from 1/2 orange)
- 1 tbsp. arachid oil
- 1 tbsp. apple vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. harissa
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- salt, pepper
- Prepare the salad: Cook the wheat berry as per the instructions given (usually you need to cook them 10 minutes in boiling water) and then allow to drain. Cook the sliced carrot in boiling water or steam for 5-10 minutes and then drain. Set both aside.
- Prepare the spicy carrot sauce: Cook the sliced carrot in a bit of water (100 ml) with the vegetable stock for about 10 minutes so that the carrot is soft enough. Remove from the heat, add the orange juice, oil, vinegar, honey, harissa and ground coriander.Mix all together with a hand mixer and season with salt and pepper.
- In each bowl, put some wheat berries, carrots, carrot sauce and about 4 teaspoons of the fresh goat cheese. Sprinkle with chopped fresh coriander and serve.
If you tried the recipe, please do let me know how it turned out – you can do that either via leaving a comment below or sharing your picture on Instagram using the hashtag #1001voyagesgourmands !