It is good to be back home from holidays, as I have just realized recently. I am glad to be back in the kitchen where I can finally try to use the ingredients and local products that I brought home. And also experiment with the recipes that I filled my TO DO list with during time spent on the beach and browsing through my favourite French food magazines. One of those items on my list is this French Summer Veggie Tian and the inspiration comes from the magazine 750g.
As you may know (you who follow me on Instagram), this week I came back from the South of France where we enjoyed tasty veggies produced in Languedoc Rousillon or Provence. I loved the local real tomatoes so much, that I bought some on our way back (yes you might be thinking that I am either crazy, either that Belgium is suffering in terms of nutrition choices), as I loved their smell and taste that I have been missing in the “sunny Belgium” (ironically said of course!). I also brought some “souvenirs” that I can use in the kitchen – like the garlic salt from the Camargue, which is supposed to be one of the best salts in the world. I got Fleur de sel (a gourmet alternative to table salt, obtained from the top layer of the salt bed), Salt with herbs from Provence and salt with garlic. I was happy to use the last mentioned in this recipe.
It is very simple to prepare, you only need time as to prepare the veggies and then half an hour for the oven. But the effort is worth it as it tastes marvelous! Even my carnivore boyfriend asked me to do this meal whenever I feel like! 🙂
And what about you, where did you go on holidays and what have you brought back from there for your kitchen? 🙂
- 2 big tomatoes
- 1 aubergine
- 1 courgette
- olive oil
- garlic salt
- thyme, fresh
- 2 slices of wholemeal toast bread
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix the toast bread into crumbles.
- Wash the tomatoes, halve them and thinly slice each half.
- Wash the aubergine and halve them, then thinly slice each half. Heat olive oil in a large pan and fry the aubergine slices lightly, for about 3 min. Place them on a plate and leave cool down a bit.
- Wash the courgette and slice it. Fry them the same way as aubergine slices.
- Grease the baking dish with olive oil. Places the veggie slices vertically, in an alternating pattern. Sprinkle generously with garlic salt, fresh thyme and the bread crumbles.
- Bake for about 30 min. in the preheated oven.