I have discovered these cheddar biscuits randomly on Pinterest when searching some salty appetizers for a house party. Given the number of pins for these biscuits, it seems these are very popular in the US and so I decided to give it a try. And they did not disappoint us! Since then, I make these Cheddar Bay Biscuits regularly – not only as an appetizer, but they are great to go with seafood, soups or salads too!
I did some googling about these Cheddar Bay Biscuits and found out that in the US, these are well-known thanks to the Red Lobster restaurant chain. They were first tested in few restaurants in Georgia as a freshly baked cheese bread with a lot of success which led to its introduction throughout the US in the Red Lobster restaurant chain. Served apparently in small baskets to accompany seafood. They became so popular that the restaurant chain bake around 400 million biscuits per year (I know that Google does not always say the truth, so correct me if I´m wrong). Once I will visit the US, I will hopefully try them out. 🙂
Soft Cheddar Bay Biscuits topped with a mixture of melted butter, garlic powder and parsley are the most delicious freshly baked and served still warm. So if you feel like giving them a try, follow the recipe below! 😉
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 225°C and line a baking sheet with a parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine together the flour with baking powder, salt, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk with melted butter and pour over dry ingredients. Stir well and gently fold in shredded cheddar cheese. Mix until combined.
- Using a scoop, place the batter onto the prepared baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- In the meantime, prepare the topping. In a small bowl, whisk together melted butter, chopped parsley, garlic powder and salt.
- Using a pastry brush, spred the topping over the tops of the warm biscuits and serve.
Have you tried these Cheddar Bay Biscuits?
Please do let me know how they turned out – you can do that either via leaving a comment below or sharing your picture on Instagram using the hashtag #1001voyagesgourmands !