Do you like beetroot? Yes/No – whatever. But, do you like chocolate? If yes, this is a sufficient reason to must try these beetroot brownies! The mixture of beetroot and chocolate is marvelous and I will for sure try more chocolate cakes with it. I often like to add different things in chocolate cakes and you might have already noticed it if you saw the recipe for my favorite chocolate cake with banana instead of butter.
Personally, I do not like beetroot – I don’t like its colour, texture, taste. To be able to eat it, I need to mix it with something else – like apples, orange, salad… so why not chocolate? 🙂 I must admit that I never tried to do neither ate the famous brownies, because they contain too much butter and sugar for me. But started to discover more and more recipes for beetroot brownies, I got tempted as I knew that beetroot is naturally sweet and can replace a certain quantity of butter.
Besides, the beetroot brownies look amazing on the pictures I came across (particularly because of the colour – brown with dark bordó tone), so I decided to try them. Although I didn’t really follow the original recipe and changed few things to my taste, the result was still excellent!
- 200 g good quality dark chocolate
- 100 g butter
- 500 g cooked beetroot
- 3 eggs
- 160 g sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- 100 g all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, grease and flour brownie pan*.
- Chop the chocolate into smaller pieces and cut the butter into cubes. Melt the chocolate with butter in a double boiler. Grate the cooked beetroot and put it into a bowl, pour in the melted chocolate with butter, add vanilla essence and whisk untill smooth.
- In another big bowl, whisk together the eggs with sugar until foamy. Add the chocolate mixture then add the chocolate-beetroot mixture and beat until combined well. Fold the flour in gently.
- Bake for about 30 minutes. Leave cool down completely before serving.
- *I used 20 x 20 cm, but they were tall enough so even if you use 20 x 30, should be ok.
Do you use beetroot for baking? What kind of baked goods do you like with beetroot?